I don’t watch a lot of TV. I’m not one of those, “There’s nothing on TV” folks, or, “TV is the death of American Society” zealots. I mostly just don’t have time, and, there’s other stuff that I like to do more (cook, play golf, hang out with my sons, etc., etc.). Nonetheless, I do get a chance to watch the tube from time to time, and I always appreciate it when someone puts a horse, or a horse reference, into advertising their product or service.
Anyway, you may have seen all of these, but if not, I hope you get a kick out of some of my favorite horse commercials, listed, (as seems to be important these days), in descending order.
5. An insurance company commercial – lets you know that there are a lot of definitions of what constitutes the “best” horse.
4. Budweiser® beer has done many hilarious horse commercials over the years. They use Clydesdale draft horses as their hallmark, and some of their stuff from the Super Bowls is priceless. But this one is my favorite – maybe it comes from living with teenage boys.
3. Old Spice® - I do not understand why, at all, but my impression is that women will put up with behaviors from their horses that they would never tolerate in their men. There’s something about a man and a horse, apparently.
2. SCHWEPPES® – I have a great deal of respect for the sport of dressage, the horses that do it, and the people who ride it. It’s really hard. And this commercial is really funny.
1. COWBOYS HERDING CATS – As far as I’m concerned, it’s one of the greatest commercials every made. And, having been on committees, and having edited some major publications, I really appreciate the sentiment. Plus, a friend of mine was it it!